HU-1 Squadron Patches
History of HTU-1
Officially established December 3rd 1950. Prior helicopter training was made by HU-2 at NAS Lakehurst. HTU-1 started with Bell HTL-4 and Hiller HTE-1/-2 trainers, and went on to fly the service-type Sikorsky HO3S-1 and Piasecki HUP-2 in the advanced stage. The HTEs were removed by late 1952 and the Sikorsky HO4S replaced the HO3S as an advanced trainer in mid-1957. Also that year the unit is redesignated Helicopter Training Group 1 ( HTG-1 ).