[Helobubbas] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Marine Aviator Relieved for Flying Too Low and Too Fast During Ceremony | Military.com

Phillips, Thomas L CTR (USA) thomas.l.phillips1.ctr at navy.mil
Mon Feb 3 11:14:56 PST 2020

P { MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px }

A young Lieutenant of HS-6 may have flown under the Golden Gate and the Oakland Bay Bridge taking a RADM to Alameda at the end of a long cruise.  VMC and a VFR launch and the overcast may have steadily decreased until it was necessary to either fly under the bridges or go out, file IFR in flight and delay the admiral's ETA.

    Settling on deck Alameda, the Lieutenant may have then realized that any flight violation would go to the Code as he commands the aircraft when aboard.

    Rotors turning, we may have felt a hand on each of our shoulders and cringed, only to hear;
"That was GREAT, I've always wanted to do that."

It was a different Navy.

Tom Phillips

Fly NAVY

(619) 313-2275 (w)