[Helobubbas] Marine Aviator Relieved for Flying Too Low and Too Fast During Ceremony | Military.com

Tom Phillips tom.phillips.seawolf at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 22:19:58 PST 2020

Getting back to the Hornet fly-by, it just does look like anything.  Maybe fast, but heck.
	That is so NORMAL, it almost lulls me to sleep.  And if the guy was a bit too fast, he did not break the sound barrier or anybody’s windows.  If he was too low, and I don’t think so, he was not unsafe, but I am an unrepentant old school naval aviator and I would not want to serve with a wuss who has a problem with flying a combat aircraft in a straight and level subsonic pass down a runway under the control of a air station tower past a bunch of fellow aviators, airmen, and, I hope, warriors.
	Hell, that senior Marine (really? MARINE?) who ruined his CAREER over this, would wet his panties if he ever saw a Navy fighter make a low pass up the port side of an aircraft carrier, whose pressure wave (can you say supersonic on the deck?) knocked the escape window out of a helicopter on the flight deck - oops, sorry ‘bout that.  Oh well, Everyone LAUGHED IT OFF.
	Wonder what he would say if he could see the video of me flying formation lead with an A-6 Intruder up the port side at flight deck level.  I was virtually looking out the greenhouse  window I was going so fast, and he was hanging on his flaps, canopy open hands out the side to add drag (well, figuratively anyway) but he was hanging on his props as they used to say to stay in the air.  All properly briefed, and approve BTW (we were not insane, just crazy) because we did not like being left out of air wing fly-bys, so we j.o.’s worked it pout.  A hummer was going to go with us but they fell out for some legit reason I now forget.  That video was the property of a great squadron mate and long time friend and fellow Seawolf, who recently passed away.  Wish I had it.