[Helobubbas] Helicopters At Pensacola, 1948

Brian Miller brianjmiller1977 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 19:52:50 PST 2020

Sorry if these aren't appropriate for the group, but I came across these
old snapshots of a pair of HO3S-1's performing a demonstration at NAS
Pensacola in 1948.  I could not find much about the airshow, but thought
the photos were interesting.  There were not many helicopters around at
that time yet, so I am wondering if this was a SAR detachment of HU-2 based
out of Lakehurst or if the base had their own detachment already.  1948
really was the year that the concept of the helicopter as a SAR platform
was proven.  Somehow it never occurred to me that the old hangars that are
now the Exchange Complex used to actually sit on an actual airfield.

Brian