[Helobubbas] Bell-Boeing Delivers First CMV-22B to Navy for COD Mission

Sandy Clark sandyclark at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 12 16:03:44 PST 2020

Andy,

Not wanting to implicate any of my shipmates who shall remain anonymous, but when on Enterprise in 72/73 we had some looonng line periods in the Gulf of Tonkin, and we always worked up a healthy thirst .  Luckily I had a good friend in Cubi-based VRC 50 who was kind enough to provide tubular unreps when they delivered the mail via C2 using my previously provided helmet bag.  We never went for anything that wasn’t top shelf stuff and became very spoiled with the Cubi pricing. It was a beautiful thing.

Ships were pretty “wet" in those days.  We didn’t abuse the privilege, especially as more liberal Zumwalt era Commanders were happy to look the other way, provided they were not excluded from our regular "planning sessions."  One Christmas day during Linebacker II Enterprise, as one of 6 carriers in the Gulf, had only one crew standing Alert 5 for the CAP also on Alert 5, during the 24 hours Christmas ceasefire.  Meanwhile, the rest of us gathered in the "J.O. Jungle" to open our presents that had been neatly arranged beneath a lit miniature Christmas Tree. It started out as a fairly maudlin affair, each of us reminiscing about our families and speculating as to their activities 7000 miles away. That is, until, for obvious reasons, we broke out the "brown water.”  Our moods improved rapidly and were becoming quite raucous until we heard a loud banging on our stateroom door.  It was the Captain Chaplain who lived next door.  Horrors!  Busted!  We quickly stashed our libations and our poorly disguised silly smirks and invited the Chaplain in.

“Merry Christmas guys!”

Merri Christmas Chaplain!

Pause.  Followed by 5 minutes of stultified inane conversation…

Later.  Chaplain: “Guys...I’ve been here 5 minutes, it’s Christmas... isn’t anyone going to offer me a drink??”

Glassy eyed JO’s (breathing a sigh of relief): Yaaaaayyyy!  Whatlyahave Chaps??

Things continued that way until the TRANSPAC, when word was passed to square ourselves away, which we did.

The following cruise was ‘Dry’, meaning that booze was strictly verboten, requiring us to be more creative about hiding our hooch in such things as our bug juice.  (who would do THAT?)

Alas, I have a feeling the days of having a toddy at sea are far less frequent in these days of political correctness, social media, email.

Sandy Clark
208-651-7335