[Helobubbas] Bell-Boeing Delivers First CMV-22B to Navy for COD Mission

Tom Phillips tom.phillips.seawolf at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 18:37:42 PST 2020

Short cruising on as big deck with four planes only, so we were on the flight schedule every single day, either flying on on alert, so no night was OK for any muscle relaxer which COULD HAVE BEEN prescribed by the local neighborhood flight surgeon, but Noooooo, not for rotor heads.  But the night before we hit port, with only getting the harbor pilot on the schedule with the endless alerts, our stateroom, a four-man at the end of a shaft alley, became party central for all the denizens of the cul de sac, and friends... who were mostly A-6 guys it turned out.
	Standing room only, loud music, loud laughing and scratching, when one of the j.o.s decided igt would be funny to call the navigation bridge and get a ime check or something.  When an irate ship’s navigator (commander post command ramrod-up-the-butt) got on the phone, he was agitated, and the drunk j.o. passed the phone into the crowd and announced “Percy (name is pseudo perhaps to protect the guilty), it’s for you," and Percy innocently answered "LT Jaygee Smuckatelli, sir.”  No, I do not know WHAT he was thinking, but the muscle relaxer evidently relaxed the brain muscle as well, proof of that, we can all attest.
	Well heads rolled, but not the rotor heads heads because the A-6 guys and THEIR squadron took the fall (Smuckatelli’s name being unique among names on the air wing officer’s roster, he was a dead duck, and the raging party noise was not lost on the Gator).  Bless them for manning up and protecting who they could.  Hoist one for such integrity, sober judgement, and esprit do corps.  Always did like those Intruder guys: they let me fly and check credit cards for the tanker pilots.