[Helobubbas] Racist

Bob Mannel bobmannel at charter.net
Fri Feb 14 16:58:46 PST 2020

Velocity Vector techniques was mentioned. The A-7 had a head-up display of the flight path the plane was on which might be the same as a velocity vector. If you kept the pipper on the point of intended landing, that is where the plane will land. Throw in throttle control for speed and technically you could steer yourself to an “on-speed” landing. Supposedly this could replace “meat-ball, line-up angle-of-attack”. You could take AOA out if you had throttle control (called “auto Ball” in my day), but required a different technique because you were leading with nose, whereas the other was power leading with nose coordinating. The velocity vector could be helpful, but on a carrier the point of landing was always changing – generally long and right. The landing area was always peripheral to me. So was AOA through lights next to your line of sight which was ALWAYS on the meat-ball.

Point is, you do what you are told because the lessons have been learned in blood. I had two students once come up with their own technique for a lead change on a flight of two. You would not have wanted to hear me in their debrief.

What I could not understand was what any of this had to do with racism?