HS-871 Squadron Patches
History of HS-871
HS-871 was a reserve anti-submarine helicopter squadron that was stationed at NAS Oakland in 1958, which carried the Sikorsky HSS-1’s. Later HS-871 relocated to NAS Alameda in 1961 and possibly deactivated doing NAS Alameda base closure in 1997.
Helicopters have been a vital part our US Naval forces. With the introduction of helicopters the 101st Airborne division started deploying into battle mainly from helicopters as opposed to airplanes. This helicopter patch is the only representation of HS-871 squadron.